The Süleymaniye Mosque (Turkish: Süleymaniye Camii) is an Ottoman imperial mosque located on the Third Hill of Istanbul, Turkey. It is the second largest mosque in the city, and one of the best-known sights of Istanbul.
The Galata Tower (Turkish: Galata Kulesi), being one of the oldest and the most important towers in the world, was made by Byzantium Emperor Anastasius in 507 under the name Lighthouse Tower. The tower was made by wood. Taking over the tower in 1348, Geneose rebuilt the tower with pile stone and named it Christ Tower. When Fatih Sultan Mehmet conquered Istanbul in 1453, the tower got under Otoman Empire’s management. In 15th century, the tower was used as dungeon and in 16th century, the tower was used as a fire tower. The first man who flew in history, in 17th century, Hezarfen Ahmet celebi, put wooden wings to his arms and flew from Galata Tower to Oskfidar. Damaged in the fire of Galata in 1832, Galata Tower was restoraged by Mahmut the Second and used as a sign tower. Also restoraged in 1967, Galata Tower gained its today’s view and still used for touristic formation. Thus, Galata Tower got its name from the historical province of Istanbul, from Galata. Because the Lighthouse Tower collapsed and today’s Galata Tower’s base was made by Geneose, Galata Tower is the most important historical monument that came to today by Geneose. Geneose constructed Galata Tower to the highest point of the citywalls they had made to help the cityplanning. This area is in the opening of Halic and also serves to Marmara, too. Well-structured for commerce, Geneose gave importance to Relic and Marmara because these two places serves as ports. Citywalls’s remainings that are collapsed in time, are still around. These citywalls had 2m thickness and approximately 3km long.
Gülhane Park (Turkish: Gülhane Parkı, “Rosehouse Park”; from Persian: گلخانه Gulkhāna, “House of flowers”) is a historical urban park in the Eminönü district of Istanbul, Turkey, located adjacent to and on the grounds of the Topkapı Palace; the south entrance of the park sports one of the larger gates of the palace. It is the oldest and one of the most expansive — public parks in Istanbul.
Istiklal Street or Istiklal Avenue (Turkish: İstiklal Caddesi, French: Grande Rue de Péra, English: Independence Avenue) is one of the most famous avenues in Istanbul, Turkey, visited by nearly 3 million people in a single day over the course of weekends. Located in the historic Beyoğlu (Pera) district, it is an elegant pedestrian street, approximately three kilometers long, which houses exquisite boutiques, music stores, bookstores, art galleries, cinemas, theaters, libraries, cafés, pubs, night clubs with live music, historical patisseries, chocolateries and restaurants.
The street, surrounded by late Ottoman era buildings (mostly from the 19th and early 20th centuries) that were designed with the Neo-Classical, Neo-Gothic, Beaux-Arts, Art Nouveau and First Turkish National Architecture (Birinci Millî Mimarî Akımı) styles; as well as a few Art Deco style buildings from the early years of the Turkish Republic, and a number of more recent examples of modern architecture; starts from the medieval Genoese neighbourhood around Galata Tower and ultimately leads up to Taksim Square.
The Basilica Cistern (Turkish: Yerebatan Sarayı – “Sunken Palace”, or Yerebatan Sarnıcı – “Sunken Cistern”). Constructed in the 6th century during the reign of Emperor Justinianus, the most prosperous period of the East Roman Empire, the cistern Basilica is 70m. in width and 140m. in length. The dome, covering an area of 9800 m12, is supported by 336 marble columns arrenged in 12 rows each consisting of 28 columns placed at a distance of 4m 90cm. from one another. The capitals of these 9 m. high columns are a blend of the Ionic and corinthian styleswith a few exceptions which are in the done style and not ornamented. The cistern is surrounded by a 4 m. thick wall of brick and the mortar used in constructions is very special and water-proof. The water reserved in the cistern was transported from the Reigned forest which is 19 km. from the city.
In 1985 the Metropolitan municipality of Istanbul undertook the restoration of the cistern. On the 9th of September 7987, it was opened for visitors as a vitalized example of universal cultural heritage.
The Galata Bridge (in Turkish Galata Köprüsü) is a bridge that spans the Golden Horn in Istanbul, Turkey. From the end of the 19th century in particular, the bridge has featured in Turkish literature, theater, poetry and novels. The first Galata Bridge at the mouth of the waterway was constructed in 1845, then was replaced by a second wooden bridge in 1863. This bridge was replaced in 1875. The fourth Galata Bridge was built in 1912. It is this bridge that was badly damaged in a fire in 1992 and towed up the Golden Horn to make way for the modern bridge now in use. The previous bridge was a pontoon bridge which probably had alot more charm than the current bridge. The Galata Bridge is a bascule (moveable) bridge. Built in 1992, the new bridge is 490m long. The deck of the bridge is 42m wide. There are 3 lanes for vehicles and a walkway in each direction. The tram runs on the tracks in the middle of the bridge. It´s one among many bridges in Istanbul, but this one has a special vibe as it is always filled with people on the bridge selling stuff, fishing and just hanging out. The bridge is in two floors and on the lower floor you have lot´s of restaurants and cafes.
The Bosphorus (/ˈbɒsfərəs/) or Bosporus (/ˈbɒspərəs/, Turkish: Boğaziçi, Greek: Βόσπορος, Vosporos, Bulgarian: Босфора, Bosfora), also known as the Istanbul Strait (Turkish: İstanbul Boğazı), is a strait that forms part of the boundary between Europe and Asia. It—along with the Dardanelles—is one of two straits in Turkey. The world’s narrowest strait used for international navigation, it connects the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara (which is connected by the Dardanelles to the Aegean Sea, and thereby to the Mediterranean Sea.)
Beyazıt Tower (Turkish: Beyazıt Kulesi), also named Seraskier Tower, from the name of the Ottoman ministry of War, is an 85 metre tall fire-watch tower located in the courtyard of Istanbul University’s main campus (formerly Ottoman Ministry of War) on Beyazıt Square (known as the Forum Tauri in the Roman period) in Istanbul, Turkey, on top of one of the “seven hills” which Constantine the Great had built the city, following the model of Rome.
During the Byzantine period, there was a tower called “Tetratsiyon” built for observing fires in remote areas where the current Beyazit Tower stands. In 1749, during the Ottoman period, the tower was built by the architect, Kirkor Balyan, who finished his education in L’École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. It holds the distinction of being the first fire observing tower. The tower was built by Hüseyin Ağa and has been called “Harik Kiosk” or “Harik Tower.” The word “harik” means fire. The performers in the tower are called “köşklü, köşlü, or dideban.” During the march of insurgents, the wooden tower was set on fire by the Janissaries. The tower was rebuilt on the same site in 1828 out of stone by Senekerim Balyan, the brother of the architect Kirkor Balyan under the command of Sultan Mahmut II. Before the Beyazıt Tower was constucted, the minarets of the Süleymaniye Mosque were used to observe fires. The height of the tower measures 85 meters, And the tower has a wooden staircase of 256 steps.
The Maiden’s Tower (Turkish: Kız Kulesi), also known since the medieval Byzantine period as Leander’s Tower (Tower of Leandros), is a tower lying on a small islet located at the southern entrance of Bosphorus strait 200 m (220 yd) off the coast of Üsküdar in Istanbul, Turkey.
The Maiden’s Tower is located 150-200 meters off the shore of the Salacak district in Üsküdar. Although it is not definite as to when the Maiden’s Tower was built, the tower’s architectural style is said by some sources to be from around 340 BCE.
Previous names of the Maiden’s Tower were Damalis and Leandros. Damalis is the name of the wife of the king of Athens,Kharis. When Damalis died, she was buried on the shore, and the name Damalis was given to the Tower. It was also known during Byzantine times as “arcla” which means “a little castle.”
The Beylerbeyi Palace (Turkish: Beylerbeyi Sarayı, Beylerbeyi meaning “Lord of Lords”) is located in the Beylerbeyi neighbourhood of Istanbul, Turkey at the Asian side of the Bosphorus. An Imperial Ottoman summer residence built in the 1860s, it is now situated immediately north of the 1973 Bosphorus Bridge.