Galata Tower

The Galata Tower (Turkish: Galata Kulesi), being one of the oldest and the most important towers in the world, was made by Byzantium Emperor Anastasius in 507 under the name Lighthouse Tower. The tower was made by wood. Taking over the tower in 1348, Geneose rebuilt the tower with pile stone and named it Christ Tower. When Fatih Sultan Mehmet conquered Istanbul in 1453, the tower got under Otoman Empire’s management. In 15th century, the tower was used as dungeon and in 16th century, the tower was used as a fire tower. The first man who flew in history, in 17th century, Hezarfen Ahmet celebi, put wooden wings to his arms and flew from Galata Tower to Oskfidar. Damaged in the fire of Galata in 1832, Galata Tower was restoraged by Mahmut the Second and used as a sign tower. Also restoraged in 1967, Galata Tower gained its today’s view and still used for touristic formation. Thus, Galata Tower got its name from the historical province of Istanbul, from Galata. Because the Lighthouse Tower collapsed and today’s Galata Tower’s base was made by Geneose, Galata Tower is the most important historical monument that came to today by Geneose. Geneose constructed Galata Tower to the highest point of the citywalls they had made to help the cityplanning. This area is in the opening of Halic and also serves to Marmara, too. Well-structured for commerce, Geneose gave importance to Relic and Marmara because these two places serves as ports. Citywalls’s remainings that are collapsed in time, are still around. These citywalls had 2m thickness and approximately 3km long.

Butterfly Valley

About 15 km south of Ölüdeniz (and 30 km south of Fethiye), Faralya was known simply as the “village on the cliffs of the Butterfly Valley” until recently, when travellers start to take a deeper look to the village. The village itself is quite a pleasant sight to see, with its houses and gardens cascading towards the cliffs of the Valley.

Basilica Cistern

The Basilica Cistern (Turkish: Yerebatan Sarayı – “Sunken Palace”, or Yerebatan Sarnıcı – “Sunken Cistern”). Constructed in the 6th century during the reign of Emperor Justinianus, the most prosperous period of the East Roman Empire, the cistern Basilica is 70m. in width and 140m. in length. The dome, covering an area of 9800 m12, is supported by 336 marble columns arrenged in 12 rows each consisting of 28 columns placed at a distance of 4m 90cm. from one another. The capitals of these 9 m. high columns are a blend of the Ionic and corinthian styleswith a few exceptions which are in the done style and not ornamented. The cistern is surrounded by a 4 m. thick wall of brick and the mortar used in constructions is very special and water-proof. The water reserved in the cistern was transported from the Reigned forest which is 19 km. from the city.

In 1985 the Metropolitan municipality of Istanbul undertook the restoration of the cistern. On the 9th of September 7987, it was opened for visitors as a vitalized example of universal cultural heritage.

Alacati

Alaçatı (also known as Alatsata, from Greek “Αλάτσατα” or Agrilia, from Greek “Αγριλιά”) is a unique Aegean town on the western coast of İzmir Province in Turkey, which has been famous for its architecture, vineyards and windmills for over 150 years. It has now made its name in the world of windsurfing and kitesurfing, with its crystal clear water, consistent and steady wind and well acclaimed hospitality.

Oludeniz

Ölüdeniz (official translation name Blue Lagoon, literally Dead Sea; because of being calm even during storms) is a small resort village in the Fethiye district which is in the Muğla Province the South West coast of Turkey on the Aegean Sea to the south and the high, steep sided Babadağ Mountain, 14 km (9 mi) south of Fethiye. The town is a beach resort.

Ölüdeniz remains one of the most photographed beaches on the Mediterranean. It has a secluded sandy bay at the mouth of Ölüdeniz, on a blue lagoon. The beach itself is a pebble beach. The lagoon is a national nature reserve and building is strictly prohibited. Ölüdeniz is famous for its shades of turquoise and aquamarine, and is an official blue flag beach, and is frequently rated among the top 5 beaches in the world by travelers and tourism journals alike. The resort is also famous for its paragliding opportunities. It is regarded as one of the best places in the world to paraglide due to its unique panoramic views, and the Babadağ Mountain’s exceptional height.

Istiklal Street

Istiklal Street or Istiklal Avenue (Turkish: İstiklal Caddesi, French: Grande Rue de Péra, English: Independence Avenue) is one of the most famous avenues in Istanbul, Turkey, visited by nearly 3 million people in a single day over the course of weekends. Located in the historic Beyoğlu (Pera) district, it is an elegant pedestrian street, approximately three kilometers long, which houses exquisite boutiques, music stores, bookstores, art galleries, cinemas, theaters, libraries, cafés, pubs, night clubs with live music, historical patisseries, chocolateries and restaurants.

The street, surrounded by late Ottoman era buildings (mostly from the 19th and early 20th centuries) that were designed with the Neo-Classical, Neo-Gothic, Beaux-Arts, Art Nouveau and First Turkish National Architecture (Birinci Millî Mimarî Akımı) styles; as well as a few Art Deco style buildings from the early years of the Turkish Republic, and a number of more recent examples of modern architecture; starts from the medieval Genoese neighbourhood around Galata Tower and ultimately leads up to Taksim Square.

Muradiye Complex

The Muradiye Complex or the Complex of Sultan Murat II, the Ottoman sultan who ruled 1421-1451, is located in the city of Bursa in Turkey.

Sultan Murat II was the last of the Ottoman sultans to reign in the original Ottoman capitol of Bursa, previous to the conquest of Constantinople in 1453. There are twelve tombs (türbe) in the complex, all belonging to relatives of this sultan. Construction of the complex began after the completion of the Yeşil Mosque, which is in the eastern area of Bursa. A large earthquake in 1855 damaged much of the Muradiye complex, and restorations have since been completed.

The large complex is composed of the Muradiye Mosque, Muradiye Madrasa, Muradiye Bath, Muradiye Hospice, a fountain, epitaphs, Sultan Murat II’s tomb, Şehzade Ahmed’s tomb, Cem Sultan’s tomb, Şehzade Mahmud’s tomb, Şehzade Mustafa’s tomb, Gülşah Sultan’s tomb, Ebe Hatun’s tomb, Hüna Hatun-Ak Tomb, Mukrime Hatun’s tomb, the Saraylilar tomb, Gülrah Sultan’s tomb and Sirin Hatun’s tomb.

Grand Mosque

Bursa Grand Mosque (Turkish:Ulu Cami) is a mosque in Bursa, Turkey. Ordered by Sultan Bayezid I, the mosque was designed and built by architect Ali Neccar in 1396–1400. The mosque has 20 domes and 2 minarets.

Ulu Cami is the largest mosque in Bursa and a landmark of early Ottoman architecture which used many elements from the Seljuk architecture. It is a large rectangular building, with twenty domes arranged in four rows of five that are supported by twelve columns. Supposedly the twenty domes were built instead of the twenty separate mosques which Sultan Bayezid I had promised for winning the Battle of Nicopolis in 1396. The mosque has two minarets.
There is also a fountain (şadırvan) inside the mosque where worshipers can perform ritual ablutions before prayer; the dome over the şadırvan is capped by a skylight which creates a soft light below, playing an important role in the illumination of the large building.

The horizontally spacious and dimly lit interior is designed to feel peaceful and contemplative. The subdivisions of space formed by multiple domes and pillars create a sense of privacy and even intimacy.

Marmaris

Marmaris is a port town and tourist resort on the Mediterranean coast, located in Muğla Province, southwest Turkey, along the shoreline of the Turkish Riviera. Marmaris’ main source of income is tourism. Little is left of the sleepy fishing village that Marmaris was just a few decades ago, after a construction boom in the 1980s. Marmaris still retains its charm due to its exceptional location between two intersecting sets of mountains by the sea. The town’s population was 30,957 in 2010 and peaks at around 300,000 to 400,000 people during the tourism season. Marmaris’ nightlife rivals anything on the Turkish coast.
It is also a centre for sailing and diving, possessing two major and several smaller marinas. It is a popular wintering location for hundreds of cruising boaters. It is served by the nearby Dalaman Airport.

Selimiye Mosque

The Selimiye Mosque (Turkish: Selimiye Camii) is an Ottoman mosque in the city of Edirne, Turkey. The mosque was commissioned by Sultan Selim II and was built by architect Mimar Sinan between 1569 and 1575. It was considered by Sinan to be his masterpiece and is one of the highest achievements of Islamic architecture.